Greencastle - Site Description
Description of the site: RAF Greencastle station was originally planned to be employed as an RAF bomber Operational Training Unit (OUT) however, in April 1942 the airfield was reassigned to the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) and renamed AAF Station 237.
Greencastle’s main role was as a satellite air depot to Langford Lodge, and therefore multiple hardstanding’s were constructed for the storage up to 100 aircraft. Many of the former airfield buildings can still be detected within the landscape but are in a derelict condition. Using aerial photography, the basic layout of the station can still be determined.
Site remains: Remnants of the airfield, including small portions of hardstanding’s and a few hut bases, in addition to the control tower and dispersed sites located towards Kilkeel.
Construction materials known to have been used: Concrete, brick, metal and timber
Condition of identified remains at site: State of site remains are recorded to be in “very bad” condition.
Information in this document was obtained from:
Lynn, C. A, 2007. Greencastle Aerodrome, Co. Down: Remains of WWII in a seaside landscape. Unpublished Thesis by Queen’s University Archaeology Department.
Smith D. J. 1983. Military Airfields of Scotland, the North-East and Northern Ireland. PSL Publishing Ltd.
The Northern Ireland Defence Heritage Project: http://go.qub.ac.uk/DefenceHeritageNI
Irish Grid Reference Finder: https://irish.gridreferencefinder.com/
List of Former RAF Stations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Royal_Air_Force_stations
Ulster Aviation Society: http://ulsteraviationsociety.org/