Omagh - Site Description
Description of the site: This was the site of a former 40-acre grass airfield which included tented accommodation for fighter aircraft and military personnel. In 1918, Strathroy became the home of 105 Squadron, RAF flying reconnaissance aircraft, biplanes patrolling across extensive areas of Ireland. The airfield is recorded to have been disbanded in 1919 (Chorlton, 2012).
Site remains: None, unpaved
Construction materials known to have been used: Canvas and timber; Canvas hangers and tents were erected on the site, all of which are now gone (Warner and Cromie, 2012)
Condition of identified remains at site: Recorded to have been “destroyed”.
Information in this document was obtained from:
The Northern Ireland Defence Heritage Project: http://go.qub.ac.uk/DefenceHeritageNI
Irish Grid Reference Finder: https://irish.gridreferencefinder.com/
List of Former RAF Stations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Royal_Air_Force_stations
Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust: http://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/airfield-finder/killadeas
Chorlton M. 2012. Action Stations Revisited: v. 7: Scotland and Northern Ireland. Crecy Publishing.
Smith D. J. 1983. Military Airfields of Scotland, the North-East and Northern Ireland. PSL Publishing Ltd.
Warner G. & Cromie E. 2012. Military Aviation in Northern Ireland: An Illustrated History – 1913 to the Present Day. Colourpoint Books
Rebecca Milligan, Queen’s University Belfast