Toome - Site Description
Description of the site: Construction began in January 1942 with the first aircraft recorded to have landed on 5th July 1943.
R.A.F. Toome officially opened in 1943, but was quickly handed over to the U.S.A.A.F. utilising the site as HQ .3, Combat Crew Replacement Centre.
The airfield was substantial, containing 30 hard stands, 4.8km of perimeter taxiway, approximately 150 associated structures and nearly 3.5km of concrete runway.
The airfield was passed back to the RAF in November 1944, then transferred to the Admiralty in 1954. The site closed in 1959, gradually returning to agriculture from 1961 and mostly demolished. However, the Control Tower was converted as a private home and several other wartime buildings also survive, although mostly in derelict condition (http://www.americanairmuseum.com/place/382)
Site remains: A selection of remains can still be identified around the airfield site including, runway remains, hangars, electric generating building bomb storage area, scattered airfield buildings, control tower (adapted), dispersed sites to the west.
Construction materials known to have been used: Concrete, Brick, Metal, Timber and Earthworks
Condition of identified remains at site: Site remains are reported to be in “Fair” condition
Information in this document was obtained from:
Smith D. J. 1983. Military Airfields of Scotland, the North-East and Northern Ireland. PSL Publishing Ltd.
The Northern Ireland Defence Heritage Project: http://go.qub.ac.uk/DefenceHeritageNI
Irish Grid Reference Finder: https://irish.gridreferencefinder.com/
List of Former RAF Stations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Royal_Air_Force_stations
Ulster Aviation Society: http://ulsteraviationsociety.org/
World War II Hangars - Guide to Hangar Identification: http://www.rafmonument.nl/_files/file/raf-hangars.pdf
American Air Museum in Britain: http://www.americanairmuseum.com/place/382